7.17.2016

be here long

When to of the best bands in the world (Switchfoot and Needtobreathe in case you're a little behind) drop their new records within a week of each other, it's pretty much guaranteed to be a killer week. And with another heavy hitter - Relient K - scheduled to release their latest next Friday, July is shaping up to be the best music month of 2016.

Switchfoot's album Where The Light Shines Through has been on repeat all week - it's an incredible mix of their previous 9 albums. New Release Today did a fantastic article on the album. There are unexpected twists and turns throughout the album, but Switchfoot's signature thoughtful, heart-wrenching lyrics are all over these songs. Those lyrics combined with funky beats and great guitar riffs are everything you could want from this amazing band. "The Day I Found God" and "I Won't Let You Go" are my favorites from the album, but it's so hard to pick! "Bull in a China Shop" is so catchy and perfect for playing loudly in the car with the windows down.

i'm just finishing listening to Needtobreathe's album through for the first time (pro tip: listen to an album all the way through, not on random, the first time you listen to it - that's how the artist intended for it to be listened to). It is a fantastic display of musicality and artistry, as one would expect from these veteran musicians. i haven't always been their biggest fan but i am a total convert now - watching them live will do that to you! "Testify" is unreal in it's lyrics but also in the music that drives them home. But the one song that caught my attention more than the others was "Be Here Long." i am a sucker for amazing, deep lyrics paired with any sort of piano.

It reminds me of one of my favorite lines from a Switchfoot song called Where I Belong - "This skin and bones is a rental, no one makes it out alive." And it reminds me of an awesome photo i saw on instagram with the words "Your heart might be broken. Your love still works." Check it out. You won't regret it.

And though my heart may be in pieces
My eyes are still set on you
And though I can't keep it together
I know that you want me, too


1 comment:

  1. Wow! I went to the Tour de Compadres last year with Needtobreathe and Switchfoot. Switchfoot is easily one of my favs, and one of the best live shows I've been to!

    ReplyDelete